Each year Forbes magazine compiles a list of the richest people in the world. Usually Oprah Winfrey and Queen Elizabeth II are on the list along with Bill Gates and a few Saudi Princes. But who knew that Forbes creates a list of the 15 richest fictional characters each year.
This year’s list has Lady Mary Crawley at number 14! Who knew being the mother to the heir of Downton Abbey came with so many perks???
Apparently through inheritance and marriage she has amassed a fortune of $1.1 billion. OMG!!!! That is a lot!!! She even beat Jay Gatsby (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) with his measly $1 billion. (It should be noted that her father Robert Crawley, Lord Grantham, was on the list last year at #14 with $1.1 billion from marriage and inheritance.)
Who is ahead of Lady Mary on the richie-poo list?
1. Disney cartoon character Scrooge McDuck $65.4 billion (Mining, treasure hunting)
2. Hobbit dragon Smaug $54.1 billion (Marauding)
3. Twilight‘s Carlisle Cullen $46 billion (Compound interest, investments – thanks to Alice Cullen’s ability to foresee the future.)
4. Iron Man Tony Stark $12.4 billion (Defense)
5. Charles Foster Kane $11.2 billion (Media)
6. Batman Bruce Wayne $9.2 billion (Inheritance, defense)
7. Animated character Richie Rich $5.8 billion (Inheritance, conglomerates)
8. 50 Shades Of Grey‘s Christian Grey $2.5 billion (Investments, manufacturing)
9. Game of Thrones‘ Tywin Lannister $1.8 billion (Inheritance)
10. Simpsons tycoon C. Montgomery Burns $1.5 billion (Energy)
11. Two And A Half Men‘s Walden Schmidt $1.3 billion (Technology)
12. Tomb Raider Lara Croft $1.3 billion (Inheritance, treasure hunting)
13. Mr. Monopoly $1.2 billion (Real Estate)
14. Downton Abbey‘s Lady Mary Crawley $1.1 billion (Marriage, inheritance)
15. Jay Gatsby (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) $1 billion (Racketeering, investments)
Sometimes it just sucks to be a real person instead of a rich fictional character. 🙂